Re: [Asrg] Adding a spam button to MUAs

2010-01-28 11:41:14
On 01/28/2010 09:31 AM, John Levine wrote:
Even worse, users will learn what the button means by the effect (they
think) they obtain by hitting it, which may vary.

Web mail has had spam buttons for years, and the users seem to have
figured out how to use them.  Can you explain exactly how the issues
with a spam button in a MUA would be different?

The entire thing strikes me as rather elitist: like only Certified
Spamologists(tm)
can determine for you what you don't want to receive.

Of course, they completely miss the point: whether something is Objectively
spam or
not isn't solving the problem that I as a user have. Spam is just ONE KIND of
thing
I don't want to receive. There are many, many other classes and thus far only
Baysian
stuff has come close to approximating my actual problem. The Certified
Spamologists
just don't get that.

Mike