Re: [Asrg] Adding a spam button to MUAs

2010-01-27 09:48:45
On Wednesday 27 January 2010 15:40:00 Steve Atkins wrote:
On Jan 27, 2010, at 4:47 AM, Rich Kulawiec wrote:
 there is no way that any end-user should
ever be permitted to classify anything as spam/not-spam. [1]

Given that pretty much all operational definitions of "spam" are based
on whether the email was unsolicited or unwanted, and the recipient is
typically the only person who is likely to be able to tell whether a
 particular piece of email is something they wanted or asked to receive,
 I'm pretty sure you've got that wrong.

Surely there's no real problem if someone mis-classifies a message as spam
or non-spam: If I'm providing a mail service I would like to aggregate
results so that when the same message is classified as spam several times by
different users I'll start blocking similar messages - either doing this
aggregation myself if I'm a big ISP etc., or using an external service
providing this functionality.

cheers,

Andrew.