Re: [Asrg] Adding a spam button to MUAs

2010-02-05 13:16:04
Steve Atkins wrote:

Okay, but "arf" is so short ;-) And we have to get everybody else to use it.

"feedback" works too.

The only setting that the MUA is likely to have access to is the name of the
IMAP or POP3 server. As IMAP and POP3 are not name-based, the entry there could
easily be domain.com, mail.domain.com, imap.domain.com or pop.domain.com or
smtp.domain.com or even www.domain.com.

It has the default name used in inbound email, as well as (usually) an email address used as a userid. Per delivery server. It may even be able to see the rcpt to (or the MTA could "help". Oh, never mind).

One option is to have the MUA "use some heuristic to find the 'domain' associated
with that hostname", but past experience with SSP suggests that it makes people
point and laugh at you and start mentioning things like imap.aardvark.us.com.

Another would be to prepend "feedback." to the imap server name - so do an MX lookup for
"feedback.imap.domain.com" to discover whether it's to enable the TiS button. That'll
either need a DNS record added for every possible name for the IMAP server, or accept that it won't
autoconfigure unless the recipient uses the name for the IMAP server you're expecting, either of
which seems reasonable.

(That doing MX lookups is not something that MUAs typically need code for, and
that isn't supported by base API, is a minor issue but worth mentioning).

Agreed. I suspect many MUAs are completely incapable of doing direct to MX, and don't do MX lookups. See other suggestion, where I say "Use normal submit mechanism".