Re: [Asrg] Spam button scenarios

2010-02-08 08:20:04

--On 8 February 2010 07:59:50 -0500 Daniel Feenberg <feenberg(_at_)nber(_dot_)org> wrote:

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010, John R. Levine wrote:

Here's some scenarios in which I'm not sure what the best thing is to do.

A) User has multiple incoming accounts, presses the spam button, and the
outbound MSA doesn't match the incoming account.  Hence the report goes
via  unrelated third parties that might snoop on it.  Do we care?  The
user has  said it's spam, after all.

The user trusts his good outgoing mail to that MTA - why should she not
trust her spam to the same MTA?

It's a different case. We're sending email to an address at that MTA, and drawing attention to it.

The main problem here, though, is that the user thinks they're reporting spam, but in fact they're generating it.

B) Assume a model in which the spam reporting address is determined per
account, e.g., fetched from the POP or IMAP server via an extension.
The  user for whatever reason moves a message from account A into the
IMAP mailbox  for account B and then hits the spam button, which sends
the report to B,  even though the message was from A.  Do we care?  It's
the user's fault,  although I can think of some simple configurations
that would cause that,  e.g., MUA based spam filter that puts all the
junk into the Junk folder on  the first IMAP account.

The ARF system at the MTA may examine the headers to make sure the report
came through it or it has the potential to process ARF reports possibly
intended for another MTA. Howeever, this is not a serious mistake, if it
is one at all. If MTA A revises its content filter based on what it
learns from a spam sent through MTA B, then no harm has been done.

C) I have a Gmail account and a Yahoo account.  The Gmail account is set
up  to fetch my Yahoo mail so I can see it all in one place.  I use
Gmail's IMAP  server to read my mail.  (I really do this, by the way.)
I hit the spam  button.  Who should get the report?

1) Gmail since that's who I picked it up from
2) Yahoo since that's where the spam was sent
3) Gmail but they should also forward the report to Yahoo

GMAIL is your MUA. It should report to Yahoo, but I don't see any harm in
it acting on the information itself. Lots of MUAs have built in spam
filters - it is perfectly reasonable that the TIS button help those
filters.

Daniel Feenberg

Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex