Re: [Asrg] What can we expect MUAs to do?

2010-02-08 19:37:28

On Feb 8, 2010, at 5:28 PM, John Levine wrote:

* Create and render MIME.
(No, you don't get to call yourself an MUA if you can't do that today).

Are there still MUAs used by people other than retro-perverse geeks
that don't render HTML?  Even Alpine does a credible lynx-like
character rendering of HTML parts.

The reason I ask is that if a MUA knows about HTML, that makes it
fairly likely it knows about HTTP, and if it knows about HTTP, that
makes an HTTP transaction a plausible way to send the report.  (The
obvious transaction is HTTP PUT, but I'm not sure how many firewalls
and proxies properly support it.)  This avoids the routing through
strangers problem.

I've seen a couple that don't handle HTML, at least not without some external
assistance. I'm also pretty sure there's one or two that handle in-band HTML,
but don't handle anything HTTP-ish. Not mainstream, but not one
guy and a dog either.

HTTP is worse than SMTP, though, as you'd either need to
implement yet another store-and-forward approach or disable the
TiS button unless there's a live internet connection.

Cheers,
  Steve