Re: [Asrg] who has the message (was Re: Consensus Call - submission via posting (was Re: Iteration #3))

2010-02-09 08:59:11

--On 9 February 2010 13:31:12 +0000 Andrew Richards <ar-asrg(_at_)acrconsulting(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> wrote:

(we'd need a helpful volunteer already implementing TiS -
probably in webmail - to generate data on how long it takes 'normal'
users  to report TiS from initial message retrieval).

My guess is that won't help. There's not really a "message retrieval" stage in webmail. The client never downloads anything.

With IMAP, there's also not really a message retrieval stage. With POP, there is, but with either, the most efficient thing is to NOT retrieve spam messages. Often they can be deleted on the basis of a preview of headers and part of the body.

If you're applying a flag or annotation to the message, you still don't retrieve it. And, in POP you generally can't act on deleted messages. In IMAP you generally can't act on expunged messages, so I don't see that with either protocol there's necessarily a problem that you might be reporting a message that isn't on the server any more. That only occurs if you've done a blind retrieval of all your messages in POP.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex