Re: [Asrg] who has the message (was Re: Consensus Call - submission via posting (was Re: Iteration #3))

2010-02-09 09:08:42
On Tuesday 09 February 2010 14:58:47 Ian Eiloart wrote:
--On 9 February 2010 13:31:12 +0000 Andrew Richards

<ar-asrg(_at_)acrconsulting(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> wrote:
(we'd need a helpful volunteer already implementing TiS -
probably in webmail - to generate data on how long it takes 'normal'
users  to report TiS from initial message retrieval).

My guess is that won't help. There's not really a "message retrieval"
 stage in webmail. The client never downloads anything.

A better way of expressing myself would be "...how long it takes 'normal'
users to report TiS for a message from its first presentation to the user"
which would cover the user deleting messages purely based on the message
preview you mention below.

With IMAP, there's also not really a message retrieval stage. With POP,
there is, but with either, the most efficient thing is to NOT retrieve
 spam messages. Often they can be deleted on the basis of a preview of
 headers and part of the body.

If you're applying a flag or annotation to the message, you still don't
retrieve it. And, in POP you generally can't act on deleted messages. In
IMAP you generally can't act on expunged messages, so I don't see that
 with either protocol there's necessarily a problem that you might be
 reporting a message that isn't on the server any more. That only occurs
 if you've done a blind retrieval of all your messages in POP.

cheers,

Andrew.