Re: [Asrg] ARF traffic, was Spam button scenarios

2010-02-10 03:56:22
On 09/Feb/10 23:51, Chris Lewis wrote:
The extant methods for determining where abuse reports are (a) usually
wrong or missing and we're not going to bail that ocean, (b)
insufficiently granular (both report types, but worse, breakdowns of
space to responsible parties, ie resellers) and (c) without aggregation,
too high volume even for automation.

You probably meant "where to send" or "where to receive", which makes (a) ambiguous.

For (b), the responsible party --the list controller-- is generically referred to as "the user". However, if they are reseller, it may be convenient to treat them as if they where a (trusted) domain and just resend ARF reports to them. We should check they apply agreed upon policies.

Aggregation is more subtle, unless it's done for copies of the same message. If reports are used for unsubscribing, a list is needed anyway. Would you make an attachment to the ARF report?

Abuse(_at_)example(_dot_)com is for reports of abuse originating _at_
abuse(_at_)example(_dot_)com, not for reports of abuse (eg: spam) originating
elsewhere that example.com's users want to report.

Agreed. From a user's perspective, though, the abuse originates at the inbox example.com provides :-/

I did some experimentation with automatic aggregation and
hand-configured destinations for a small fraction of reports. That
worked somewhat, but not worth the effort to keep touching the config.

Couldn't that result from a clever algorithm and an automatically maintained database?