Re: [Asrg] ARF traffic, was Spam button scenarios

2010-02-10 06:46:27

--On 9 February 2010 19:38:08 +0100 Alessandro Vesely <vesely(_at_)tana(_dot_)it> wrote:

On 09/Feb/10 18:38, Ian Eiloart wrote:
Actually, I think I said we won't look at the message, but that's not
right. We check the message headers to identify messages that were
originally routed through the MSA. For abuse reports from our domain,
though, they're not going to go out of our system and back again.

What about forwarding? Many sites have come to some sort of agreement
with forwarders, e.g. in order to whitelist them from SPF checks. So if
your user reports a forwarded message as spam, you may want to re-send
the complaint to the forwarder, just like the Yahoo->Gmail case that has
been exemplified earlier.

Now, suppose the report eventually reaches the original author. She may
be the first human actually reading it, and realizes that the recipient
hit TiS by mistake. Won't she protest? Eventually, the forwarder may send
you back the ARF claiming that it has been your user's error and to
please readjust their reputation.

What are the addresses involved?

It's like this: if you want to send mail to my system with a sender domain that I own, then you have to authenticate to our servers (unless you're forwarding an email that was originally submitted to our servers over authenticated SMTP).

We don't permit spoofed email from our domains. It works very nicely, and keeps our "internal" email pretty much spam free.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex