Re: [Asrg] Spam button scenarios

2010-02-08 08:12:04
Hi.  Please say "POP" a hundred times before proceeding.

A) User has multiple incoming accounts, presses the spam button, and the
outbound MSA doesn't match the incoming account.  Hence the report goes
via unrelated third parties that might snoop on it.  Do we care?  The
user has said it's spam, after all.

Snooping might well be an issue, for example, it might be a false positive
where the actual message contains confidential information. The reporter is
using a system that supposedly communicates with their service provider.
Reporting a message to the mailstore operator (who can already read it from
the mailstore)

Mailstore?  This is a POP account.

C) I have a Gmail account and a Yahoo account.  The Gmail account is set
up to fetch my Yahoo mail so I can see it all in one place.  I use
Gmail's IMAP server to read my mail.  (I really do this, by the way.)  I
hit the spam button.  Who should get the report?

  1) Gmail since that's who I picked it up from
  2) Yahoo since that's where the spam was sent
  3) Gmail but they should also forward the report to Yahoo

This is already a problem with simple forwarding. I get ARF reports from
AOL for messages that originated elsewhere, but were forwarded by my SMTP
servers.

Except that there's no forwarding here.  Gmail should know that it got
the message by POPing it from Yahoo.  I agree that pinning the blame for
spam sent through courtesy forwards is a black hole, and we're not going
to solve it here.

R's,
John