Re: [Asrg] Ideas for anti-spam

2010-09-29 21:15:29
They wont do that because they know people who filed false reports lost their
accounts. The person who got wronged would file an appeal and get their posting
priveleges back and the others would lose their accounts, or have them
suspended
and so on. Perhaps that person would get a "flag" where their comments can no
longer be instantly reported as spam (and so, their comments would now only be
reportable to the admins using the regular slow route).
You tube already has "mark as spam". Various other places have "report abuse"
links. I'm only modifying this existing feature to give more power to the
users.
If you get 100 spam comments taken down with 2 false reports, its a good system.
Users see spam first. If they have more power to act on it, thats the right
thing to do.

Again for the person who said "you're assuming the person will do the right
thing" - people already use "report as spam" links on Youtube and yes, so they
do police it. Ofcourse they want to, no one wants to see spam. The proof is all
the comments you see marked as spam. Youtube's spam is not perfect. Only the
comments thing is somewhat OK. There's tonnes of video spam that goes all
around
there. Tonnes of other websites that dont have any "mark as spam" feature thats
policed by the users.