Re: [Asrg] Ideas for anti-spam

2010-09-29 14:43:55
On 9/29/2010 3:20 PM, Geo. wrote:
I don't understand why we don't all promote abusing the spammers system,
they are not immune either. Imagine if we told everyone the way to stop spam
is to try to buy whatever it is they are selling and stop just short of
paying.. Now you send out a million spams, get 100,000 responses that are
all bogus, go ahead and deal with that... talk about increasing the cost of
spamming.

Leaving entirely aside the legality or morality of doing so...

- How do you limit damage to only the spam originator, when their facilities may (and usually are) shared with non-spammers?

It probably won't be a matter of where the provider is knowingly providing service and causing more general problems for them might be appropriate (to some). The abuse could even injure entirely innocent upstreams up to and including transit providers.

- What if the spammer has moved.  How do you know?  What do you attack?

- What if the spammer is smart and makes it look like it came from you?

- What if the source is a spambot behind a NAT?  What do you attack?

Now, after you've read all the above, go read about BlueFrog and what happened to it.

It's never appropriate to fight abuse with abuse.