Re: [Asrg] Ideas for anti-spam

2010-09-29 09:52:21
Hi guys thanks for the replies!

Aaron wolfe wrote:
What is this assumption based on?  We all know how poorly users respond to
"training" scenarios with email spam.

It doesn't involve any training. All they have to do is click on the "report
button".

  Most of  them just don't want to see spam and have no interest in policing
the internet.

This is not true. On Youtube for example, comments are flagged as spam. If
people see spam and they know they can have an effect, they'll do it. Its just
one click.

You're assuming people want to help you, that they will be accurate, and
that
they will be honest. These are bad assumptions to make.  I won't bother to
point
all all the holes in this leaky boat, but consider what happens when one
group
of users simply disagrees with another group or individual.

Once again there are pluses and minuses. Youtube already has the "flag as spam"
system and it does more good than harm. If we're stopping a lot of spam for a
few misses or abuses, thats ok.

I dont know anything about email spam, so my comments on that were just some
basic ideas that you guys are right, have probably already been thought of and
so on.

For my comments on general internet spam, I'll work on this and see if I can do
anything. Oh yea I'm going to be the global spam hero! Yea right. I have a
domain. Hopefully I will create a test project to service one website and see
if
it works.
Once again, I've done some programming work on other intentional internet crime
and it has worked good, so I believe in myself and its worth trying.
In my attempts to stop that internet crime, I've had some misses but overall,
the system evolved and has done a lot of good. Some side effects are possible
and thats ok. That will happen. There are side effects of putting a lock on our
doors also - what if we forget the keys inside? But we have to take the good
and
the bad and see what we're gaining, what the risks of our losses are, etc.

Doug, thanks for your comments as well. I just have to test it out to see if it
works and how it evolves. Oh yea, now I gotta actually bell the cat. Talk is
cheap! Hopefully soon I will.

Steven