Re: [Asrg] Ideas for anti-spam

2010-09-27 16:45:15
 On 9/27/10 12:49 PM, Swaying Trees wrote:
 hi Doug

>> Your scheme is easily poisoned. Covert accounts are free and
>> can exchange messages with other accounts over some period and
>> be indistinguishable from normal users. Unfortunately, the art
>> of saying something without saying anything has become a forte
>> for many, like adding +1 to a thread. ;^)

 I dont see how. You mean those 1) covert accounts will be used to
 generate false reports?

A reputation scheme reacting to submissions from responders vetted by account duration is open to legitimate messages being blocked. The goal might be retaliation of some sort or to cause the reputation scheme to be dropped.

 Or 2) will they not be detectable as spammers because they look like
 normal users?

Yes, until they go rogue and submit reports based upon dubious content.

 For 1: users who file false reports can have their accounts
 suspended/cancelled.

Accounts are essentially free and unlimited. Any reaction to spoofed submissions quickly degrades into a popularity contest where only those white-listed are safe.

 For 2: its not possible to not be detected as a spammer. Anyone can
 be reported as a spammer. The evidence (offending messages) will be
 gathered.

Your scheme would not use the community to identify spammers when content must confirm assertions. In your scheme, how will the service confirm the source of the message? And what prevents an endless acquisition of new accounts?

 People who have been wrongly reported can appeal.

What level of support staff is needed to review content and to deal with appeals? Spammers have an incentive to lie, and they often do.

The underlying problem is a lack of a clearing house able to recognize synonymous identities and a lack of federated credentials when dealing with "free" identities. Forums are expected to endure some level of abuse from individuals, weighed against the suppression of speech by oppressive authorities. Often an abuse problem can be solved by requiring fees to join, which overcome the economics of spamming.

-Doug