Re: [Asrg] Collecting IP reputation data from many people

2010-10-22 14:19:53
On 10/22, Rich Kulawiec wrote:
Others have largely covered what I'd say already, so I'll add this:
you may find it useful to read aboute Credence:

      http://www.cs.cornell.edu/People/egs/credence/

That's interesting, but hard to apply.  I can't really give everyone a
custom list of reputation data only using data from other people with whom
theirs highly correlates.  Well, maybe I could try.  Probably insane
though.

Yes, finding groups with highly correlating reports will be important, but
I don't expect it to be obvious which groups are the spammers and which
groups are legit.  Or which groups are just incompetent.

Something I'm surprised didn't come up on this list, that was mentioned on
the spamassassin users list:
http://www.mimedefang.org/reputation
An IETF draft of a Reputation Reporting Protocol.

I'm not a huge fan.  It uses UDP which, as it mentions, allows forging of
the sending IP.  Other good stuff in it though.

The spamassassin users list also mentioned Google's paper from 2006 on
their internal reputation system:  http://www.ceas.cc/2006/19.pdf
I'm curious how much the usefulness of authenticated domain based
reputations has changed in the years since.

--
"I'd rather be happy than right any day."
- Slartiblartfast, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy