Re: [Asrg] Implementing IPv6 DNSBLs

2010-12-17 16:10:54
okay here we go again.

This time the response format is, the 32 bits of the response divided into
16 bits of confidence, 16 bits of data, and if the query library doesn't get
confidence for what its looking for it always adds another nybble of search,
so the length can be implied by the length of the query.

The trade-offs are, we only support one bit of data for each listed range,
and we're no longer returning "safe" ip addresses within 127.0.0.0/8.

Querying for a:b::1, which is ON, and is the only thing that is on,
anywhere, followed by enumeration of additional records needed to verify
that a:b::2 through a:b::ffff are OFF.

the first two octets are confidence, the second two are data. The first bit
represents f and the last bit of the second octet of each pair represents 0,
so you can create the word by left-shifting.

bit, meaning in second octet:
  1           0
  2           1
  4           2
  8           3
 16           4
 32           5
 64           6
128           7

bit, meaning in first octet:
  1           8
  2           9
  4           a
  8           b
 16           c
 32           d
 64           e
128           f

0.list
251.255.0.0

0a.list
255.254.0.0

0a0.list
247.255.0.0

0a0b.list, 0a0b0.list,0a0b00.list, through
0a0b00000000000000000000000000.list
are all
 255.254.0.0
which represents confidence that nothing appears in any ranges except the
one at 0.

0123456789abcdef0123456789abcdef
0a0b000000000000000000000000000.list
255.255.0.2

that represents the hit on a:b::1
at this point, we have enough in the cache to require
no additional queries for all the non-hits

for use with ipv4 and ipv6 space, it would make sense to define a shorthand
for ::*w.x.y.z *as, say, lwwxxyyzz where ww through zz are the data in
hexadecimal, and l is a letter ell. (Instead of in-arpa syntax, which is
inappropriate because lists are not under distributed administration)