Re: [Asrg] What is Reputation Service

2011-01-28 05:11:57

--On 27 January 2011 21:51:47 +0000 John Levine <johnl(_at_)taugh(_dot_)com>
wrote:

We all know what a bad reputation *is*, but what we're really interested
in  is how a bad reputation *is acquired*.

Agreed.  I'm also interested in what one does with the info once you
have it.

Well, yes. But the communication between a reputation service provider, and a reputation service consumer doesn't need to discuss that. The provider might give some hints about how they imagine the information being useful, but in the end it's up to the consumer to decide what to do with the information. For example, I think the "RFC ignorant" lists were supposed to be used as blacklists, but some people ended up using them as whitelists!

The key thing is that the consumer knows enough about the service that they can apply it to their own benefit.

R's,
John

Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex