Re: [Asrg] What is Reputation Service

2011-01-30 08:26:08
On 29/Jan/11 14:37, John Leslie wrote:
Alessandro Vesely <vesely(_at_)tana(_dot_)it> wrote:
reputation [??r??pj????te??????n]
1. the estimation in which a person or thing is generally held; opinion
2. a high opinion generally held about a person or thing; esteem
3. notoriety or fame, esp for some specified characteristic
   have a reputation to be known or notorious, esp for promiscuity,
   excessive drinking, or the like

   For starters, that's three rather different meanings... I'd argue
that the third is the one closest to the concept we're discussing.

At any rate, please note the "generally held" part, which seems quite
essential to me...

   ... but it goes with the first definition, not the third...

The first two of them, actually.  "Known or notorious" is obviously
implicit in "generally held", so the third definition seems to just
drop the requirement that the general public should be willing to hold
the underlying judgment.  (Compare this with off-line world's news
services.)

I don't see a real difference among those definitions, because even if
we take 1 or 2, we want reputation records to be usable also by people
who never had direct experience with the relevant domain/IP.  For such
users, definition 3 has to apply.

Thus, reputation would connote the shared facets of the experience.

   I can't think of an existent "reputation service" which aims for that.
Instead, they aim at "notoriety", and try to make early calls of that.

I have difficulties thinking of an existent "reputation service" at
all :-)  Indeed, much of the confusion on this term may stem from the
fact that no impeccably designed reputation services exist yet.

By example, are DNSBLs reputation services?

Is Spamhaus DWL a reputation service?

Is Spamassassin AutoWhitelist, running at a given MTA, a reputation
service for the users of such MTA?

If there are well established uses of the term "reputation" we cannot
change its technical meaning.  We may use adjectives to disambiguate,
when needed.