Re: [Asrg] What is Reputation Service

2011-01-29 05:50:09
On 28/Jan/11 18:13, Chris Lewis wrote:
Here's one dictionary definition:

Let me recall there's a proposed corollary to Godwin's law
http://www.irtf.org/mail-archive/web/asrg/current/msg15449.html

reputation [ˌrɛpjʊˈteɪʃən]
1. the estimation in which a person or thing is generally held; opinion
2. a high opinion generally held about a person or thing; esteem
3. notoriety or fame, esp for some specified characteristic
have a reputation to be known or notorious, esp for promiscuity,
excessive drinking, or the like

At any rate, please note the "generally held" part, which seems quite
essential to me.  In facts, in the off-line world, people say phrases
like "despite her reputation, IME she is <experienced quality>".
Thus, reputation would connote the shared facets of the experience.