Re: [Asrg] Greylisting BCP

2011-10-18 14:43:00

On Tue, 18 Oct 2011, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:

After some chatter inside MAAWG and on the ietf-smtp mailing list, Iʼve started
an
outline for a BCP on the practice of greylisting.  The main purpose is to
explain
what it is, discuss the pros and cons of its variants, and give some
recommendations
for implementation and configuration for a few example installations and
policies.

The draft (which is currently only an outline) is here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kucherawy-greylisting-bcp/

Comments welcome.

Where should comments go? I have a question really, though it might be construed as a comment. Why do greylisters match on the (sender, receipient, MTA) triple rather on just the MTA? Isn't it nearly certain that if an MTA returns for one sender/receipient pair, it will return for any pair? So that keeping track of all three seems unnecessary and increases the probability of a message being delayed. What am I missing?

Daniel Feenberg
NBER

-MSK