Re: [Asrg] RFC 6471 and "listing the Internet" as a punishment

2012-01-24 09:36:00
On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 04:19:00PM +0100, Emanuele Balla (aka Skull) wrote:
and again, in point 3.5:

?  A functioning DNSBL MUST NOT list 127.0.0.1.  There are a number of
   mail server implementations that do not cope with this well, and many
   will use a positive response for 127.0.0.1 as an indication that the
   DNSBL is shut down and listing the entire Internet.?

That is not clearly against "listing everything as a punishment", but
means uribl.com is technically "non-functional"... ;-)

I may well be misreading this report AND the RFC (coffee level: alarmingly
low) but it appears to me that this DNSBL is not listing "127.0.0.1",
but is returning 127.0.0.1 in response to queries for "example.com"
(and all other domains) when those queries are issued from certain hosts.
(And I presume those hosts are the set which have issued excessive
and/or unwelcome queries in the opinions of the DNSBL's operators.)

---rsk