Re: [Asrg] RFC 6471 and "listing the Internet" as a punishment

2012-01-24 12:59:55
On 1/24/12 1:50 PM, John R. Levine wrote:
Listing the world for folks overloading your system is unlikely to have
the effect that you want, and is most likely going to impact folks who
have no say in the configuration of the receiving mail server.

You may be right, but I have to have some sympathy for BL operators who
are getting bombed by clueless misconfigurations.

I do not, in any way, disagree with this.

I'm just wondering if there's a middle ground that can stop BL operators from being abused by (willfully or unwillfully) clueless folks without severely impacting innocent users. Something more than "just sit back and take all those stupid queries" and less than "return a response code that could indicate a listing for every one of those stupid queries".

-- D