[ietf-clear] Re: Make CSV backwards compatible with legacy SPF records?

2004-11-11 12:42:47
Miles (and Carl),

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 06:26:49 -0800, Miles Libbey wrote:
? I think this was briefly discussed at the FTC email auth forum.
? Carl Hutzler from AOL indicated that they would likely do HELO
? domain checks using SPF records. ?Perhaps this is not the most
? ideal implementation, sacrificing overhead, parsing complexity,
? and accreditation but since SPF records seem to be getting
? published and checked perhaps it's worth taking a less ideal
? implementation to get the major benefits that CSV provides.

? Are there reasonable algorithms to finding the layman's domain as
? opposed to the machine name) ?

I believe the consensus of the CLEAR design team is that we are not sure what,
precise semantics are possible, when using SPF records with CSV, but that the
goal of re-using existing records always sounds appealing.

We would, therefore, felt that we should ask Carl -- but now I'll say YOU and
Carl -- to specify exactly what the behavior will be and what flavor of SPF
encodings are to be inspected.

Thanks.

d/
--