[clear] Plan of Action for CSV?

2005-06-20 13:01:42
At 08:51 PM 6/20/2005 +0000, John Levine wrote:

The address 'imladris.demon.co.uk' in particular couldn't be listed with
the others -- that ISP may change that address if/when the connection to
it switches from dialup to DSL, and I wouldn't want the duplication.

  I understand not wishing to duplicate this; but it seems to me you're
taking a far greater risk by trusting an external organization to
determine the basis for _your_ reputation. It doesn't strike me as a
good practice to do this.

Demon is a quaint English ISP that provides static IP addresses to its
dialup customers, so it's quite reasonable to use the address they
provide.

BUT we have to draw the line somewhere in regard to encoding complexities
of people's configurations into CSV data.  I understand that life can be
complicated, but that way lies the madness that is SPF.

Agree 100%

My suggestion is that a domain can have one (1) CSV record that can
point to a single name that can have as many A and AAAA records as
needed, and there we draw the line.  If your life is more complex than
that, it's your problem to collect the data and update your record.

I think CSV should avoid the madness of redirects, includes, macros, and
all the other stuff that is making SPF vulnerable, but still take advantage
of its capacity to authorize the servers for an entire domain in one
easily-maintained record.

Here is the record for a really huge domain, rr.com.
"v=spf1
ip4:24.30.203.0/24 ip4:24.28.200.0/24 ip4:24.28.204.0/24 ip4:24.30.218.0/24
ip4:24.93.47.0/24  ip4:24.25.9.0/24   ip4:65.24.5.0/24   ip4:24.94.166.0/24
ip4:24.29.109.0/24 ip4:66.75.162.0/24 ip4:24.24.2.0/24   ip4:65.32.5.0/24
+mx ~all"

As you can see, they have isolated the outgoing mail servers for their
entire, widely-distributed domain into twelve blocks.  These blocks do not
include the dynamic IP space they allocate to customers.  If you get a mail
from rr.com, you can be quite confident it is not from a zombie.

Aside from convenience, which will be a major factor for domains like
rr.com, there is the question of DNS efficiency.  Put this one record in
your cache, and you won't have to make another query to rr.com for 24
hours.  That could cut DNS traffic by a factor of several thousand.

--
Dave