Re: [ietf-dkim] linkage between "originator" and "handling agent"

2005-08-17 09:35:32
Dave Crocker wrote:

In fact the main reason that I question the need to have most/any of SSP --in the *first* round of standardization -- is that there is quite a bit of utility in exactly the scenario you describe: A message arrives with a signature. *ANY* signature. There is quite a bit of useful information derived from validating that signature, or having the signature fail validation.

I guess I'm having trouble understanding what this utility would be. Perhaps if you could explain what you believe can be done with this signature and this signature alone, I might understand better.

So far, IIRC, it seems that there are some who feel this is valuable as a basis for accrual of reputation enabling reputation systems to be name based instead of IP based. Is there some other utility you have in mind?

I certainly agree that a signature alone provides additional information, the question in my mind is what can you do with it?

Scott Kitterman