Re: [ietf-dkim] DKIM SSP: Security vulnerability when SSP record does not exist?

2005-08-20 20:21:03
Douglas Otis wrote:
On Sat, 2005-08-20 at 20:29 -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:

So, given that view, as a sender, what's in it for me?

Sounds like all I get is more spam reports and maybe on a domain based blacklist if someone doesn't like my mail? What benifit is being offered that I should risk that?

With DKIM, a small list of trusted signing domains will exclude most
emails which need greater examination.  The level of support to maintain
this type of trusted list would be less than the traditional IP address
white-list.  By not binding the signing domain with the mailbox-address,
there can be greater consolidation which further improves the leverage
of such a list.  Those implementing DKIM could benefit by this rather
practical use.  Complaints directed to those permitting access will
benefit the industry in general, and again provide greater acceptance
with DKIM as the basis.  When MUAs eventually display the signing
domain, this should also be to signing domain's benefit.

Aspects of the message content may become beneficiaries of a domain
binding later, but should not be included in initial offering to ensure
fewer operational issues.

I'm not certain, but I think you are saying that the benifit to me is that I'll be put on a whitelist and it will be very difficult to get my mail delivered if I'm not on the magic list?

Is that right?

I don't have a problem with getting my mail delivered today, so I guess if your view prevails, I can ignore DKIM until someone starts telling me I MUST sign using DKIM or they won't accept my messages. I expect I wouldn't be alone in that view.

Am I missing something here (wrt to benifit to a sender to sign)?

When you say "..will benefit the industry in general.." what industry are you talking about?

Scott K