Re: [ietf-dkim] DKIM SSP: Security vulnerability when SSP record does not exist?

2005-08-20 10:12:34
Douglas Otis wrote:

Defensive strategies must find a different identifier assured by the domain as a unique basis for locating trouble. This is simply being pragmatic, but this new identifier will not impact the way email operates, as would adding constraints on the mailbox-domains. MASS should adhere to an oath that above all, do no harm to remove all excuses. : )

You can't stop forgery without stopping forgery. Some things that are perhaps technically forgery are considered desireable. Other things that aren't forgery might be affected by forgery prevention protocols.

I'm not on a 5-10 year timetable that says things get better after the whole world upgrades.

I don't believe it is possible to have any near-term positive effect without also having some potential for near-term harm. DKIM should allow for restrictive policies for domain owners that are willing to live with the side effects of those policies.

I ask you which would be worse for a commonly phished domain, that their messages would fail verification if sent to a mailing list or that forgeries of their domain would continue to be delivered to end users?

I expect that many domains would be willing to give up mailing lists for a way to enable receivers to detect and reject forgery of their domain during the SMTP session.

I think it's DKIM's job to give them the choice and the information to make an informed decision.

First do no harm is fine if the patient isn't dying already.

Scott Kitterman