Re: [ietf-dkim] DKIM SSP: Security vulnerability when SSP record does not exist?

2005-08-22 01:33:38
On Sun, 2005-08-21 at 23:38 -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
Douglas Otis wrote:

As I've said before, we are wanting to solve two different problems.
You want another input to improve spam filtering and reporting in order
to get from IP based solutions to name based solutions.  Fine.  I don't
think it will help that much, but have at it.

What I have suggested involves more than transitioning to name
acceptance criteria.  The objective includes improved control over out
bound email, independent of mailbox-addresses.

Filtering solutions are fundamentally dangerous to the mail system.
They are a necessary danger these days, but we should be striving to
find ways to minimize the risk that messages will disappear into a spam
folder somewhere.  It's far better to reject up front.  If a legitimate
sender is rejected, at least they'll know.

I agree.  A better system either accepts or refuses messages without
heuristics.

What I want is for domain owners to have better control over the use of
their name and for me to have a mechanized way to know what messages
fall outside their definition of acceptable use.

There are many different headers which may legitimately carry a third-
party mailbox-domain for valid reasons.  On this list, messages appear
to be from many different mailbox-domains, but they are not.  This is a
valuable service.  You wish to change existing practices to establish a
new ideal, whether this provides a benefit or not.

You want providers to either refuse sending or discover third-party
mailbox-domain authorizations before sending or accepting messages.  An
authorization scheme that requires extensive DNS lookups, after
prioritizing headers in some arbitrary fashion, to check whether this
third-party mailbox-domain permits an otherwise valid and non-abusive
message.  Could first-party providers expect payments from third-party
mailbox-domains to deal with resulting complaints and extra overhead
resulting from this new paradigm?  Would a provider that ignores this
new ideal be considered bad?

Is it even practical to express all the many ways email is currently
used, for an authorization scheme to avoid causing extensive disruption?
Could each of these authorizations require extensive negotiations?  How
much DNS bandwidth and logic will be needed to resolve all possible
states such a scheme may need?

It seems pretty simple to me that if a domain publishes an SSP that says
that they always sign their mail with DKIM and I get a message allegedly
from their domain that's not signed, I can reject it.

One view of course would be a message is from the domain that signs it.
You must be assuming there is a binding to some header implied by this
statement.  Unfortunately, declaring ownership based upon just some
mailbox-domain will likely create havoc for current practices.

Same if they say they do not want mail with third party signatures to
be considered valid.  It fails their policy, so I reject it.

Again, this implies first-party ownership based upon some header,
whereas the stronger domain signature is ignored.  Should this
definition of ownership include Resent-Sender?  Should this be only used
for the From?  What happens when the From has more than one mailbox-
address?  Binding headers is really better done with S/MIME or OpenPGP
to avoid disruption.

The beauty of this type of system is that there is no centralized
clearing house who will control the mail system.

By clearing house, are you suggesting this header authorization
eliminates a need for reputation services?  Are you suggesting abusers
will not be able to meet requirements of self-authorization?

It's a distributed as DNS and the only parties involved in the
transaction are the receiver, then sender, and the sending domain
owner.

There is the (1) signing domain, the (2) sending domain which may be
different, your view of a (3) sender, defined in some fashion by a
mailbox-address, and the (4) receiving domain.  You want (4) to contact
(3) via extensive DNS queries to decide if (1) is permitted to be sent
by (2).  If (4) trusts (1), is all this potentially disruptive logic
needed?

Now, I don't expect to win you over on this point because you've
repeatedly declared this impossible.  It seems simple enough to me.

I have said it will not achieve the desired results once the details are
considered.  I have also indicated this will create disruptions that
will likely inhibit deployment.

Frankly I find this "industry list of troubled domains" you mention
above scary.  It appears to me to have the potential to put control over
e-mail delivery for the internet in a few hands.  That kind of
centralization is antithetical to the foundation of the internet.  Am I
understanding you correctly?

There is much more involved in phishing than can be possibly met by DKIM
alone.  It seems reasonable for these institutions being hurt by
phishing exploits to publish who among them is meeting a set of criteria
designed to ensure adequate checks are possible.  Phishing involves
links, deceptive pretty names, similar names, among other things that
can not be addressed by rules designed for normal email.  Also, as there
will be extensive processing involved, screening this list could also be
helpful.  I would not expect this to be done by a flag indicating the
need for some new DKIM mode.

The Internet is a collaboration of public and private organizations.
What I have suggested is nothing different.  I am not suggesting any new
cabal take control of email, just that phishing may demand special
attention by those affected.  Even the use of S/MIME signatures,
although currently problematic, may prove most effective over the long
haul.

If you examine what I have been suggesting, the self publication of
revocation-identifiers and bad-lists will do more to reduce reliance
upon centralized services than any thing else.  Such a scheme greatly
leverages feedback reporting, where sending domains are then able to
better protect their recipients.  This will permit dealing with zombie
systems promptly and effectively.

-Doug