[ietf-dkim] Is accountability binary?

2005-08-23 20:16:50
--- John R Levine <johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com> wrote:

Should a forwarder (e.g. college alumni permanent address service) have
the same level of accountability as the originating domain (the domain
that received the initial submission of a message)?

I don't see why not.  If they're sending me mail, they should be
accountable, and if it's spam, I'm not happy about it. It's possible that
since I asked the alumni assn. to send me the mail, I may accept it even
if it's mostly forwarded spam (it is and I do, at the moment), but that's
a local decision about reputation, not accountability.

What that suggests then is that as a recipient implementing local decisions you
may want to know both the accountable forwarder and the accountable origin. Is
that a reasonable inference?

First Question: Must DKIM provide both of these pieces of information to you?

Second question: Do you really truly care about the forwarder or is that more
an artifact of today's world where it's hard to look beyond the forwarder?

Mark.