Re: [ietf-dkim] DKIM SSP: Security vulnerability when SSP record does not exist?

2005-08-25 05:35:27
Douglas Otis wrote:

On Aug 24, 2005, at 6:05 PM, Dave Crocker wrote:

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 17:56:55 -0700, Douglas Otis wrote:

 It is not the SSP statement that is the problem, but confusion about
 forgery protections.

The concern I was responding to was quite clearly stated and specific in its
focus.

It had nothing to do with forgery protection, but rather the scheduling of work
on SSP.

After a lengthy discussion with Scott, it is clear he holds expectations that DKIM's sole role is protecting the mailbox-domain. This is expressed within the lead-in phrase "Forgery of headers that indicate message origin". While the signature of the message may encompass other headers, there is no assured relationship between the signing domain and whatever may appear within a header 'assumed' to indicate a message's origin. The lead-in phrase of the charter is misleading as it does not speak to those uses where there is no relationship whatsoever between the mailbox-domains and the signing- domain. Mailbox-domains and the signing-domains being different is even likely the typical case.

Please quote the post where I said that was DKIM's sole role.

I certainly said that it (meaning forgery protection) is the application that's of most interest to me.

Scott Kitterman