Re: [ietf-dkim] updated threat analysis outline

2005-08-25 04:47:19
On Wed, 24 Aug 2005, Douglas Otis wrote:

I don't see where that talks about using the revocation ID to detect
forgery.

The recent suggestion was to consider the binding of the
mailbox-address/ signing-domain/revocation-identifier by the MUA as an
opportunistic identification, rather than attempting less protective
domain-wide assertions by the SSP. The MUA is able to associate visual
items from prior correspondents and obtain a higher granularity and
history of signed message sources without using any DNS lookups.

That seems plausible, but it assumes that the revocation ID will be varied
per sender and I don't think this will always be the case. For example:

attack: Mr Vendetta signs up for marketing email from example.com, then
spams it widely in order to damage the company's reputation. (This is a
direct reputation attack, as opposed to the parasytic reputation attack we
have considered so far.)

defence: Example.com wants to revoke email sent to Mr Vendetta without
affecting their other customers. Therefore they use a revocation ID per
recipient.

This doesn't break your scheme, but it does make it look a bit shaky.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>  http://dotat.at/
BISCAY: WEST 5 OR 6 BECOMING VARIABLE 3 OR 4. SHOWERS AT FIRST. MODERATE OR