[ietf-dkim] Re: Thoughts on the DNS RR issue

2005-08-27 01:49:10
Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

_prefix.exists.example.com    TXT     "Policy1"
*.example.com                 CNAME   _wildcard.example.com
_prefix._wildcard.example.com TXT     "Policy2"

[...]
This algorithm is 100% compatible with the deployed, legacy
DNS and meets all use cases that were proposed for
wildcarding.

If it works (I'm unfortuately a DNS ignorant, although the SPF
adventure helped to get some basic ideas) it's cute.  Did I
get this right, the real trick is a convention to look for and
interpret an _wildcard.example.com alias if there's no direct
hit ?

That should be an I-D of its own.  As you said the SPF-solution
to support both SPF and TXT in parallel for years is not very
convincing (but still better than abusing TXT forever).

If this mechanism was adopted as policy for ALL prefixed
records there would no longer be any need to define new RRs
unless there was a need to define a new record syntax.

Better stick to TXT with this convention.  Snipping the rest
because it's beyond me.  You probably need a IANA registry of
_prefix-es following your _wildcard convention.  Bye, Frank