Re: [ietf-dkim] Purpose and sequence for DKIM specificationand deployment

2005-08-29 13:06:56

On Aug 29, 2005, at 8:36 AM, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

Domain authorization mechanisms should not make anti-forgery
claims, despite the misleading charter goal.

I think that the problem here is that you are describing an
implementation rather than a specification.

I agree that the type of analysis you describe is possible, the
anti-spam filtering services already have similar processes in place.

The point of SSP is to simply describe the sender signing policy of the domain. This helps the recipient interpret unsigned messages purporting
to come from the domain with greater accuracy.

You are describing a mechanism and explaining what it may accomplish in the narrow terms of the mechanism. This unfortunately has nothing to do with claims made within the charter regarding header authentication.

Lead-in problem statement:
,---
| Forgery of headers that indicate message origin is a problem for users of
| Internet mail.
'---

The goal of DKIM.
,---
| The DKIM working group will produce standards-track specifications that | permit authentication of message headers during transit, using public-key
| signatures and based on domain name identifiers.
'---

While one could describe signature verification as authenticating the signature header, this is not addressing the problem statement. The headers which could possibly relate to forgery are _not_ being authenticated. I find these two statements misleading and not representative of the DKIM mechanism as currently devised.

Not accurately expressing goals makes it difficult to evaluate issues related to their potential success or the related threats.

For example consider the following policies:

* "The domain anybank.com is regularly targetted by phishing attacks,
all legitimate mail from this domain SHOULD be signed"

This simple statement overlooks details related to how "legitimate mail from" is defined. Of course understanding the motivation related to this statement would permit an assessment of the viability of the goal. Leaving out this critical detail allows problems to be ignored. Getting even this goal clearly stated would greatly assist the evaluation process. Claiming the SSP mechanism prevents phishing would be invalid, for example.

* "The domain example.com is performing a limited trial of DKIM, only
some mail from example.com is signed".

You are describing a mechanism that is unrelated to any goal.

* "The domain example.com signs every mail using RSA-SHA256."

Again a mechanism unrelated to any goal.

Each one of those statements provides information that helps a spam
filter to make the right decision.

You have described a mechanism where whether it achieves some goal can only be evaluated when that goal is clearly stated. DKIM does not authenticate headers that may be forged which draws into question what is being accomplished. Describing this as an anti-phishing solution would be problematic. It would be better to clarify in general terms what is being claimed as the goals of these SSP assertions. These assertions are fully independent of the basic DKIM mechanism, yet there is no goal directed toward achieving DKIM which I find remarkable.

Your last two points seem to be attempts to justify a mechanism that offers no value. As the domain controls the private keys, this would be a stronger assertion of process which does not benefit from ancillary reinforcement. A domain that signs some messages again does not address any particular goal nor offers a solution for some problem.

At this point we basically have two proposals:

1) Try to solve the problems of spam and phishing to the best extent
that email signatures allow

I would rather see clearly defined goals rather than attractive phrases that appear to promise everything. Attempts to define the relationship of providers with mailbox-address will be highly disruptive and should be avoided. To provide a uniform level of protection, an opaque identifier should be added by the accountable domain. This permits indirect methods to abate message replay abuse, author forgery, and unauthorized access.

General goals:

- Establish an accountable domain.
- Establish accountable domain-specific opaque identifier.
- Establish low-level defensive strategies to protect resources.
- Minimize requisite administration.
- Minimize requisite protocol overhead.

Charter revision:
----
Being unable to verifying the domain providing initial access for the messages being offered is a problem affecting those accepting Internet mail. The verification establishes a domain accountable for subsequent messages with expectations of this domain being able to abate ongoing abuses. A verified domain signature within the message also affords identification techniques based upon opaque identifiers offered by the accountable domain. The signed header with the added identifier could be ancillary to techniques aimed at thwarting targeted spoofing of prior correspondents, for example.

The DKIM working group will produce standards-track specifications that will permit the authentication of the domain providing initial access for opaquely identified entities sending messages. The authentication process will utilize a dedicated header containing public-key signatures and verified with public keys stored in the accountable domain's DNS hierarchy.

2) Limit the scope of the work strictly to the minimum.

I think that the second is a major mistake that would result in the
working group taking longer to deliver just the message package than it
would take to deliver a full specification.

I have been involved in groups that have had clear goals, but failed to consider important aspects which then produced a well defined albatross. I would rather see this effort build a solid foundation that can stand on is own. I see DKIM as that foundation. This foundation does not need to address spam or phishing directly. This foundation simply enables tools which allow more effective and expedient dispatching of abuse related issues. I have doubts that SSP practical and would rather see SSP considered separately.

-Doug