Re: [ietf-dkim] Purpose and sequence for DKIM specificationand deployment

2005-08-29 18:53:16

On Aug 29, 2005, at 4:48 PM, Earl Hood wrote:

On August 29, 2005 at 13:00, Douglas Otis wrote:

I would rather see clearly defined goals rather than attractive
phrases that appear to promise everything.  Attempts to define the
relationship of providers with mailbox-address will be highly
disruptive and should be avoided.  To provide a uniform level of
protection, an opaque identifier should be added by the accountable
domain.  This permits indirect methods to abate message replay abuse,
author forgery, and unauthorized access.

I'm unsure how effective the opaque ID will deal with replay abuse,
but it appears to still have value for other security concerns.
For example, by the time a replay is detected and the a revocation
records is added to DNS, the damage is probably already done.

I took the view of those running an abuse reporting service. Often there is unintended abuse occurring that can be handled in a reasonably short time frame. The expiry of the signature could be in days where the response to abuse becomes far more difficult to track, and also more profitable for the abuser. Being able to curtail abuse within a reasonable time frame would occupy far less time for all involved. In addition, the revocation mechanism itself can serve as an immediate confirmation of problem resolution. There of course is the other benefit found when correlating the source of abuse which offers the domain administrator more concise information. The abuse can be complied and would not need to be sorted for clues of where the message originated from within the domain.

-Doug