RE: [ietf-dkim] Purpose and sequence for DKIM specificationand deployment

2005-08-29 13:35:20

You are describing a mechanism and explaining what it may accomplish
in the narrow terms of the mechanism.  This unfortunately has
nothing
to do with claims made within the charter regarding header
authentication.

Lead-in problem statement:
,---
| Forgery of headers that indicate message origin is a problem for
users of
| Internet mail.
'---

OK I think we are in agreement here. I think that the charter should be
written in terms of

1) Providing a mechanism whereby an Internet domain name owner can claim
responsibility for an email message

2) Provide a mechanism to allow notification of an Internet domain name
owner's policy for claiming accountability

3) Provide an authentication platform on which TTP providers of
accreditation and/or reputation information can build products that are
tied to a domain name rather than an IP address.

Forgery then falls out of the goals section of the charter, it is simply
an attack that might be attempted.