Re: [ietf-dkim] Re: Forgery complexities

2005-08-29 18:29:00

On Aug 29, 2005, at 4:25 PM, Dave Crocker wrote:

DKIM is an authentication technique.  It authenticate an identity.

While that is a true statement, this new identity is independent of headers normally considered to be related to forgery. Falsifying the originator (author) of the message has nothing to do with the validity of a DKIM signature.

"normally considered to be related to forgery".

1. If the signer chooses to include those headers into the hash, then DKIM provides a degree of protection against their being forged after signing.

The significance of the hash including various headers should not be assumed to offer any specific assurance of these headers prior validity. The significance of the signature and what it may encompass only indicates what the signing domain acknowledges as having transmitted.

2. You appear to be focusing on a particular kind of forgery exclusively, namely the unauthorized use of rfc2822.From addresses by the entity doing the signing. Since the DKIM base does not attempt to protect against it, there is no surprise (or problem) that it does not protect against it. The protection against such forgery is a delightful and productive goal, but it is not one
attempted in DKIM base.

What is the goal attempted by the DKIM? As you have indicated, DKIM does not protect against forgery of From headers prior to signing. The old expression, garbage in garbage out would seem to apply. If there is any protection, this would be prior to DKIM. The level of protection in this regard would be related to trusting prior validations made by the signing domain and would be unrelated to DKIM. I would expect a normal application of DKIM would be simply signing outbound messages without performing any checks with respect to the related privileges associated with a specific mailbox domain. This would reflect current common practices.

3. DKIM SSP provides certain protections against rfc2822.From forgery, along the lines of what you appear to be concerned about, but again, the attempted protection is extremely constrained, so there is no surprise that it does not do
more.

All of this seems to suggest that you are concerned that DKIM is "failing" to perform a task that it has not set out to perform. This, in turn, suggests that
you want to pursue a different activity.

Suggesting that DKIM prevents forgery would be misleading. DKIM provides an accountable domain. SSP provides mailbox-domain authorizations which may limit possible sources of abuse. Describe the goal or the intent of the mechanism without over-stating or misconstruing its purpose. I think the rather nebulous descriptions in the current charter does not adequately describe the intended goals. Considering DKIM and SSP as separate efforts seems well justified. There should be commensurate goals expressed separately for each effort.

Authentication is not needed, unless one is worried about invalid uses of identities. I think that it is reasonable to call that "forgery".

Adding an unseen identity within a message, and being able to verify this unseen identity, does not directly deal with the current forgery problem.

"unseen identity"? I gather you mean that it is not guaranteed to be presented to the recipient end-user. Indeed, presentation of validation information to the recipient end-user is not a goal of DKIM, so it is not a surprise that it
does not do it.

"The current forgery problem". Forgive me, but I am under the impression that there is an array of forgery problems. Which one(s) do you mean and what is the
basis for believing that DKIM is attempting to solve it(them)?

I think this question makes the point. What is meant by suggesting a mechanism is related to solving the forgery problem? This brings forth expectations that this mechanism will resolve to the originator or author. When someone fakes a message, what are they faking? As signatures are unrelated to the originator or author, it would fallacious to say a signature solves the forgery problem. I will assume forgery before a DKIM signature is applied is an equally significant problem. The real goal is verifying the domain held accountable for their governance relating to preventing abusive behaviors. One such behavior may include forgery, but this is not directly related to DKIM nor specifically addressed by SSP.

DKIM allows the inclusion of a signature. The validity of the signature makes no statement beyond having accepted and subsequently transmitted the message. DKIM may offer no assurances related to any message content beyond the signature.

I was under the impression that SSP attempts more than that.

SSP attempts to apply mailbox-domain authorizations which may limit possible sources of abuse. Once such abusive behavior may include forgery, but this is not specifically addressed by SSP. I still think the lead-in phrase and the suggestion that headers are "authenticated" is misleading. It can be stated in ways where the goal is much better understood.

Ensuring that the received headers are the headers that were sent does not address the problem of forgery?

The signature simply indicates this was the message sent. It makes no claims regarding any other content.

You might want to review the nature of data integrity protection afforded by
signing a hash of the message.

 Perhaps some signers confirm

A domain may do any number of checks, validations, pre-filtering, rate-limiting, puzzle solving, or account debiting all of which are unrelated to DKIM. DKIM verifies the domain in conjunction with the message. Whatever claims are made regarding the content of the message are beyond the mechanisms related to DKIM which only verify the accountable domain. As a result, it would be confusing to suggest these other possible checks are somehow part of DKIM.

content in some manner, but this does not provide the recipient any means for concluding headers indicating the originator are valid.

So it is probably a good thing that the DKIM base does not claim that it does.

Talking about forgery and then claiming that DKIM authenticates headers skirts dangerously close to making that claim.

The fact that DKIM provides a digital signature based on a hash of the message headers means that, in fact, it is ensuring that any modification to the headers, after the message is sent, will be detected. Hence, they are authenticated... With respect to the identity doing the signing.

While indeed the signature may encompass headers and body content, this makes no assurance any content is valid, or that any content is being assured by the signing domain.

1. "Valid" is a rather broad concept. Are you suggesting that some sort of
alternative signing would mean that my sending you a note, with such a
signature, will contain a "valid" promise to send you money?

I was more concerned about the specific claim made in the charter.

2. DKIM specifies what it validates with respect to the content. That is all any specification can reasonably do. It appears that your concern is that DKIM does not perform some other sorts of validations, which in fact it does not
claim to do.

I have been attempting to have a discussion related to the goals and the possible threats related to the DKIM and SSP mechanisms. It would seem appropriate to first agree what the related intent or goals are for these mechanisms before proceeding into more detailed discussions. It seems you remain unwilling to describe what you think the goal would be related to DKIM as the base.

-Doug