Re: [ietf-dkim] Re: An overview of cryptographic protocols to preventspam

2005-09-26 17:13:34

On Sep 26, 2005, at 1:33 PM, Amir Herzberg wrote:

Douglas Otis wrote:

Any advertisement, labeled or not, representing one of perhaps an inordinate number of such messages should _still_ be viewed as spam. Such messages are primarily in the sender's interest, and primarily at the expense of the recipient.

If properly labeled (e.g. with ADV:) then filtering them becomes trivial. And if you are willing to accept ADV: (or other label) from specific senders, use appropriate authentication mechanisms (e.g. DKIM) to allow these senders (only) and block ADV: from others.

An abuser can easily implement DKIM or any other authentication and authorization scheme. Authentication by itself provides little benefit. Mailbox-domain authorizations alone provide even less, as this weak form of authorization is easily exploited. However, authentication plus reputation would be able to curtail a major portion of spam/virus/phishing threats.

A labeling definition that categorizes unsolicited messages as not spam is _not_ useful. The primary consideration regarding whether a message is abusive is whether permissions were granted by the recipient. This consideration is especially important for bulk messages offering disproportionately greater value for the sender than recipients.

A "verified" label plays _no_ role in deciding whether a message is abusive. A message that falsifies a header or label may be considered fraudulent, but current email practices allow unseen headers to be considered that of the sender, and do not define how prior headers are assessed.

A school using a T1 line for Internet access may be unable to accommodate ADV+DKIM messages and still achieve reasonable Internet access. There is still cost associated with ADV+DKIM that you ignore when you claim there is a means to "filter" messages. This "filtering" after the exchange still costs the recipient that has no desire to receive the messages.

If 'ADV:' on the subject line were to mean "this is not spam," then of course every spammer would use this label.

Not when ADV: also means `this is an ad` and 99.9% of users block it (at least from all but very few selected senders)... And this is, in reality, already the case. Spammers rarely put ADV:... even when required by law. Hence the need for `Internet enforcement`.

Laws allow any number of cases where labels may be bypassed. Fortunately, recipients may establish their own criteria of acceptable behavior. For simple enforcement, labels MUST NOT be a criteria for bypassing a more general requirement of not sending unsolicited bulk email.

If it were used conscientiously to genuinely indicate an advertisement to an individual requesting such information, then of course such a message should not be filtered. As there must be a mechanism based upon reputation to determine the integrity of the sender anyway, such labeling would be of extremely little value.

Here I disagree. Current mechanisms use _implicit_ labels of `no ads, no virus, ...` - and if you'll read my text, I indeed said that `no label` equals a default of `not falling into one of the required labels`. The labeling mechanism allows senders to send an ad to customers who want it, and allow me to send a virus to an anti-virus researcher. I think this is important for free speech and some legitimate usage scenarios.

I can not imagine a label scheme that would safely disable anti-virus protections. With respect to ads, either messages are desired and therefore are not a problem with or without a label, or they should not be sent. Freedom goes both ways. The recipient is equally free to say "No Abusers." The recipient is free to depend upon a community assessment of abusive sources. A label scheme attempting to offer a "consent variance" increases enforcement costs and therefore would be of _NO VALUE_.

Assume responsible senders would cease sending advertisement when requested, and that such responsible senders also predicate sending based upon a request or granted permissions.

Yes? And how would a recipient know that a sender is `responsible`? Based on unproven assertions by blacklists etc? Having signed labels allows one to _prove_ that somebody cheated.

What do you mean unproven assertions of a black-hole list? The proof is whether messages were granted or unsubscribed. A label or lack of a label has no bearing with respect to the nature of abuse.

In any case, may I suggest you respond to me privately or in an appropriate forum e.g. asrg, since I think content labels are not part of DKIM (of course DKIM can be applied to sign such labels).

DKIM itself could be viewed as a type of label that can be verified.

DKIM signatures do not contain description of the content (i.e. content label). I was not discussing any `label` just `content labels` .

A DKIM signature says this content has not changed and was "permitted" by the signing-domain. DKIM offers a content label that actually has value, unlike the labeling you describe.

The domain of a compromised router does not need to be within the recipient's domain, as you indicate.

Didn't understand.

You have dismissed a risk by assuming the victim controls a compromised router. DKIM in conjunction with DNSSEC offers a significant advantage for inhibiting such attacks.

There is a difference between a black-list and a black-hole list, where black-hole list would be the preferred terminology describing an IP address qualification mechanism.

Why do you think this is a better term? How do you define the difference?

A black-hole list is terminology for black-holing (creating a dead- end) for specific addresses emitting abuse. One form of this list in BGP is called black-hole routes. From a legal perspective, black- listing describes specific actions unrelated to black-holing. Seek the advice of a lawyer for further clarification.

The path based registration schemes are very prone to intra- server attacks, in addition to man-in-the-middle attacks.

What is an intra-server attack? You mean attack on DNS server??

Unlike DKIM, path registration is really just server authorization provided by a mailbox-domain. A domain owner using a provider that does not properly assert mailbox-domain constraints, are exposed to "intra-server" abuses by any other client of that provider. After all, path registrations are public. You mentioned the problem knowing which mailbox-address is even being checked. This creates a similar problem at the outbound server as well.

Many MTAs are shared by multiple domains. There should be some mention that mailbox-domain authorization schemes attempt to base authorization upon visible headers, where this then violates normal conventions.

You have two examples. The PRA in Sender-ID and the SSP in conjunction with DKIM. The PRA locates an authorized list of addresses; the SSP locates an authorized list of signing-domains. For various reasons, neither scheme follows SMTP conventions.

This is also true for SSP. The solution often used for cases where authorization would inadvertently cause a message to be lost, is to use open-ended authorization. Open-ended authorization may invite exploitations and may cause messages to placed into "junk" folders, rather than rejected with an indication of a delivery failure.

Sorry - didn't understand this paragraph. Please clarify.

As all mailbox-domain authorization schemes will fail in various cases, the mitigation involves leaving authorization open-ended, meaning the authorization never totally fails, but may result in the message being placed into suspense, a separate queue or folder.

Your "ALL" chart lists '+', where this could be seen as the "politically incorrect" mode.

What do you mean by PC here?

While your explanation of the meanings could be derived from the drafts, this ignores risks associated with unfair reputations accrued against the mailbox-domain by various email plug-ins being announced. By not PC, this '+' symbol would be the "middle-finger" defiance mode. : ) For SSP, there is the 'y' or the '~' mode instead of '~' and '?'.

The normal approach would be to use the open-ended '?' mode. Characterization of path based registration as being simple to implement or alluding to lower CPU overhead is misleading. These path based schemes may require an inordinate level of DNS lookups consuming limited I/O resources, whereas CPU resources used for cryptography are generally available and otherwise unused.

I meant path based is less `expensive` than content-based; and on the CPU vs. I/O, I think the story is not clear, esp. since most crypto proposals also involve DNS queries. I'll try to clarify.

Consider that crypto proposals (ignoring SSP) are more deterministic with respect to the I/O overhead. Your statement then appears to assume there would be a type of white-listing that bypasses content filtering. In the few cases where such bypassing might be safely avoided, there is not enough volume to justify the risk for making exceptions.

You also question the value of utilizing reputation based upon the domain. The domain does carry more information than just the IP address. IPv6 addressing may create a similar situation. A name offers the age and the registrar of the domain.

But my concern is that registring names is cheap (and of course could be done in advance). Any solution to this concern?

Although a database for domain names may be large and can grow without bounds, names provide a history and should cause less collateral blocking. IPv6 offers the same potential increase in the size of the database.

From a cost standpoint, collateral blocking perhaps accounts for the majority of complaints related to listing services. There is also the problem of Zombie systems using automated access to provider's servers where messages are sent an inch deep and a mile wide. An opaque-identifier in conjunction with DKIM would be a powerful tool to combat this emerging threat. It would also help distribute black- hole listing, as larger problematic domains could publish their own lists or perhaps delegate the zone to a specialized service provider.

When considering the number of shared MTAs, the use of path registration remains dubious, whereas being able to verify the name offers greater value. Even with DKIM, the mailbox-domain may not be assured and not be verifiable This is also true for the path registration techniques. Authorizing a mail service _does not_ indicate that mailbox- domain originated the message. There is far greater risks associated with "poisoning" reputations based upon mailbox-domain authorizations, which are mechanisms being currently proposed. Basing reputation upon DKIM signatures should eliminate most poisoning concerns. This would assume that a replay mechanism is in place.

I think we agree here so I'm not sure if this is a comment/ criticism/suggestion on my write-up, if it is, where do you think I should clear it up?

I was reacting to the oversight of the risks associated with mailbox- domain authorization and the rather quick dismissal of value verifying the domain. As example, in the HELO section, HELO verification offers significant value for DKIM or any other domain based authentication scheme from a resource protection standpoint. The alternative would fail-over to the remote IP address. This of course assumes a domain based reputation scheme is available, in addition to the IP address black-hole list.

-Doug