Re: [ietf-dkim] draft-fenton-dkim-threats-00

2005-10-06 12:47:44

The threat analysis characterizes the bad acts as the spoofing of email addresses.

My name is Dave Crocker. The domains involved with my email are dcrocker.net, bbiw.net and songbird.com.

The domains in the From and Sender and MailFrom and Helo and Received fields are all valid and I am authorized to use them.
Really.

I send very obnoxious mail.

You do not want to receive my mail.

DKIM is extremely helpful for this scenario because the negative reputation that you have assigned to my identity (errr... domain) can now be reliably and accurately applied. You could not do that so safely in the past. One could argue that that is because I could then use a different identity and, therefore, one could class the problem as spoofing. But I think we lose an important point when we focus only on the spoofing action, to the exclusion of the affirmative benefit of simply ensuring an accurate/reliable identity. That is, even without spoofing, DKIM's assurances would be useful simply because of Internet scaling and diversity.

d/