RE: [ietf-dkim] Re: what is DKIM for, was on multi-signatures

2005-10-14 09:28:21
Appols for top posting, resticted messaging capability here

On the topic of rotating through keys we have a near term requirement to
transition to the new digest algorithm that is to replace SHA-1 and SHA-256 in
the next 3 years or so. We also need to have at the very least a contingency
plan to move to use of ECC.

We cannot take those steps now and so we are going to end up with a situation
where we need to attach two signatures, an RSA-SHA1 signature and an RSA-AHS or
ECC-AHS signature. Its the only way that transition can be managed.

This process is likely to be driven in the federal space by an executive order
fiat. So regardless of what you might think the security needs are for DKIM we
should plan for the introduction of next generation algorithms.

Just in case folk get the wrong idea, I am not saying that RSA-2048 is
immediately vulnerable. However there are applications where it will cease to
be acceptable within relevant time horizons.