Re: [ietf-dkim] Re: dkim service

2005-10-17 16:05:32

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005, Jim Fenton wrote:

Mail list is "3rd party" for message signature only if it does not set Sender field to itself, which most mail lists actually do. If mail list does add Sender it can be viewed as "2nd party" to the message but I'm
of the opinion that "1st party" signature (i.e. added by original message
author as listed in From header field) should survive mail list processing
too and is as important as mail list added signature. But I maybe looking at it all in the METASIG identity perspective rather then the one you're taking with DKIM (which I still don't understand because the original goal of all the work was to stop spoofing of visible headers and is to me most important and some here seem to have forgotten it).

Have another look at the SSP specification, section 2.1. The only time that the Sender field matters at all (and it's extremely rare) is when the From address contains multiple mailbox specifications. In that case the Sender field is used as a "tiebreaker", as spelled out in RFC 2822 section 3.6.2.

Is that the same as saying that for purposes of forgery protection (rather then establishing "some" identity for reputation/accreditation by means of the signature) DKIM focuses only on the "From" header field?

[Yes I understand its not 100% only from in case of multiple addresses]

So even if the mailing list does set the Sender field, it does not change the fact that the mailing list signature is a third-party signature.

In that case I'd expect that you should try to make sure the signature
from original sender (ok - from person listed in From) survives cases
of mail lists and instead I hear some people on this list saying that
we should not even try.

It would need to change the From field to do that. So, in fact, we are concentrating on visible headers.

Sender is visible header on nuber of mail clients and definetly on
50% of the ones if counted based on actual use by people. Actually
the situation is such that those for who its not visible header field,
can very often change it to make it visible through some additional seetting and at the same time they are also the ones that are a lot
less likely to be fooled by forgery in the first place...

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks