Re: [ietf-dkim] over-the-wire (in)compatibility between pre-IETF DKIMand (eventual) IETF DKIM

2005-10-19 09:19:31
On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 10:21:54AM -0400, Barry Leiba allegedly wrote:

I argue that "sensitive transactions" are not what DKIM is about.  If
one wants to protect sensitive transactions, one should use S/MIME or
OpenPGP.

I'm not sure what term to use - "sensitive" seems insufficient - but
clearly there is a class of email that DKIM is well suited to
protecting. Bank statements, utility bills, auction notifications, are
not amenable to S/MIME but are so to DKIM. We need a term for these,
er, invariant-important mails.

That said, I wouldn't object to an additional, strict signing policy
that lists headers and asserts that they must match.  I think it'd be
rather nice to say, "Only consider a message validly signed by us if
the signature verifies AND ALL of the following SMTP and header fields
represent our domain: HELO, MAIL-FROM, From, Sender, Reply-To [...]."

What do others think of this?

If a signer has to opt-in headers, the problem is that they don't
necessarily know all headers significant to a recipient or their
MUA. To be safe, a signer needs to be able to exclude any additions.

Mark.