[ietf-dkim] SSP and Sender header field

2005-10-24 13:35:00

Am I correct in reading the latest SSP draft that:
 1. It changes the originator entirely to From and now instead of using
    Sender header field value (as per RFC2822) to decide cases of multiple
    From addresses, the first one in From header field is used?
 2. It changes the meaning of 3rd party to be entity other then who
    is listed in From who sends or resends the message and adds Sender
    header field?
 3. It makes recommendation that mail lists add Sender header field:

  "In particular,
   Mailing List Managers that modify the message in ways that break
   existing signatures SHOULD:

  o  Add a Sender header using a valid address pointing back to the
     Mailing List Administrator or an appropriate agent (such as an
     "owner-" or a "-request" address)."

As to the last one, I'd like to hear how you propose to gain consensus when majority of email experts in places such as ietf-smtp and ietf-822 do not consider it to be ok. And yes, I know that majority of mail lists do add Sender.

P.S. I strongly recommend rereading entire draft or at least running
through every mention of "header" and making change when you actually meant to say "header field" and not full message header. I believe in majority of cases that is what is meant.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks