Re: [ietf-dkim] DKIM Charter Comments

2005-11-16 23:15:57

4.  It is not clear to me that you can separate the development of the DNS
RR from the base specification.  My assumption is that the base
specification is stating how the addressing of the DNS RR is to be done and
to effectively specfiy the content.  It makes more sense to me to pull each
of the different DNS RR's into the respective documents.

This seems to relate to a continuing question of the scope of the base specification.

So let me try out one line of thinking about it:

If the base specification is for a complete, end-to-end "system" then indeed the query service needs to be included, in enough detail to permit a query to be performed.

If, instead, the base is merely the core signing/validating mechanism that is a component of the overall service, then the query service can be specified separately.

The base, then, needs to specify that keys are available for signing and validating, respectively, but it does not have to provide the details of how the keys are obtained.

Does this make sense?

d/
--

Dave Crocker