Re: Pre-picking one solution

2005-12-22 13:11:09
Douglas Otis wrote:

DKIM should be seen as aspect of the SMTP transport.

IBTD.  Trying to find any feature in DKIM not covered by the
existing SMTP schemes (MTAMARK, CSV, SPF, but not PRA) it's
_independence_ of SMTP that fascinates me in DKIM.  All you
need is the header, a piece of software, and DNS.  It could
also work for news if we get the FWS canonicalization right.

Schemes related to the email-address such as S/MIME or
OpenPGP are designed to support email-address limitations.

Maybe they missed the point, mail without signature.  A simple
way to publish that all mails claiming to be from X are spam
if they don't have X's signature.  [ I'm just spamcop-ping 36
phishes claiming to be from my bank, hilarious ]

SSP, just as with Sender-ID, requires email-address domain
owners authorize the source of their email

At least we now have a complete list of traps and pitfalls for
that idea.  If all else fails we could "SSP" the Message-IDs,
or I'd try to understand your fresh "DKIM options" draft. <g>

                              Bye, Frank