Re: Pre-picking one solution (Re: [ietf-dkim] Re: WG Review: Domain Keys Identified Mail) (dkim)

2005-12-22 21:31:14
On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 06:35:47AM -0800, william(at)elan.net allegedly wrote:

Not necessarily. One of the proposals that went into DKIM had characteristic
of storing public key fingerprints in dns. This seems quite close to DK but
has a number of advantages and unlike DKIM or DK does not put serious extra
pressure on DNS infrastructure

Unproved speculation. As you know, email, compared to HTTP and P2P
(neither of which sought approval from the IETF) constitutes an
increasingly tiny part of the Internet load these days. The serious
pressure comes from applications that never came near the IETF.

like ip addresses (i.e. fixed size small data) would not work so well for
when data served & answer would either come close to or exceed 512bytes
UDP limit.

Unproved speculation. As you know, 512 is not a UDP limit it's a DNS
implementation limit which was long ago removed by EDNS0 - an IETF
standard.

The other minor matter is that the Internet is already participating
in a billion+ DK signed and verified emails per day - I've been
watching, but as yet, no news at 11. At what point do you expect the
pressure to be noticed?

William. I admire your interest in optimizing DNS load, but, as Knuth
might ask, is it premature? If you think not, convince us otherwise.

Mark.