Re: [ietf-dkim] Timeframes & status for external consumption

2005-12-22 08:59:24

Steve Atkins wrote:
Can anyone pick a date (or month, or year) for "It would be sensible
to plan on deploying DKIM on our production servers by this date"?

Also, can anyone give a very short summary of the current status of
DKIM that's suitable for giving to people who want to start deploying
some form of authentication, inbound or outbound, but don't need or
want to know about how the sausage is made in any great detail?

The DKIM working group charter has been submitted for comment by the IETF community. Chartering the working group will, therefore, shortly be considered by the IESG. They might approve the charter. If they don't, it is anyone's guess about when (or whether) the group will get chartered.

The current charter schedule specifies an extremely aggressive schedule. Given the pattern that has already been solidly established, the group will not meet it. (For reference, I believe the schedule specifies a delivery of the core document faster than the IETF record.)

Given that it is taking somewhere around 6 months to get chartered and given the reasons for its taking that long, I'm going to predict that the core document will like reach RFC status in 2 years. That is about 3 times longer than the charter calls for.

Most folks will disagree with that estimate.

They need to respect history more.

d/

--

 Dave Crocker