Re: [ietf-dkim] Re: DKIM and mailing lists

2006-01-20 19:50:09
On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 10:06:03PM +0100, Frank Ellermann allegedly wrote:
Jim Fenton wrote:

to make that decision based on a signature.

I think we're in trouble if the list signs something that is
already signed.  If you get a valid signature and the List-Id,
why do you want a second signature from the list in addition
to (or instead of) the "original" signature ?

Because a signed List-ID proves it came via the List that I've
subscribed to. An unadorned List-ID could, shall we say, be forged.

Since I am likely to know the list I can filter appropriately but I am
unlikely to know the original signer and would not want to filter on
that.

Even if such distinctions are not well made today, we should enable
the possibility rather than preclude it and then have to deal with it
in five years time with another DKIM-like WG.

Mark.