Re: [ietf-dkim] How mailing lists mutate messages

2006-01-23 13:47:15

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Levine" <johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com>
To: <ietf-dkim(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org>

And I still have a lot of trouble thinking of plausible scenarios
where mail from a domain with SSP restrictions would legitimately be
sent through a list.

I agree with this. I think we are not giving the DKIM domain owner the
benefit of doubt. If he will bother with DKIM, he will be prudent and
will control his usage of his new "marked" domains.

But I can see plausible mail operations where a domain might want to use
a more relaxed policy for LIST submissions only and/or a LIST requiring
that all submitted mail be DKIM signed using relaxed policies.

The goal being to protect the list message submission only.  The list
will take control with its own optional 3rd party security for
distribution.

For example, I can add a new Mailing List Option:

  [X] Accept only DKIM signed submissions
      [X] From Optional Signature Policies only

This way, the domain can use a NEUTRAL (o=~) or STRONG (o=-) and the LS
will still be able to keep the integrity in check for the final
downlinks.