Re: [ietf-dkim] Re: Attempted summary

2006-01-24 11:46:13

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006, Jim Fenton wrote:

Jim,

You are kidding? Right?  Do you really agreed with this?  This is
contrary of your SSP proposal. The above is not the chartered proposal.
I hope we don't get lost into some undefined reputation concept.

IMO, DKIM will not widely adopted with a "Batteries Required" concept.
It will be nice to keep the protocol sweet and pure.

Stephen answered this well, but I'll also assure you that I haven't
recently gone crazy.  DKIM, especially with SSP, delivers significant
value on its own, but it's also reasonable to point out the additional
benefits when it is coupled with reputation, accreditation,

Jim,

What I actually saw (and granted I did not had enough time to participate
and read-all posts last week) especially from Stephen's summary is confirmation of what I thought was true of DK is also true of DKIM - i.e. that it can not handle mail lists well. I firmly believe that without being able to handle mail lists the SSP component as you call it would not be something that everyone wants to adapt (especially since you're proposing to do it all on per-domain basis and [non]use of mail lists is largely per-user decision where as for entire domain, typically at least some others are using mail list). It is unfortunate that due to how some IETF activists bypassed MASS, the situation is such that we'd not be able to solve the forgery issue and best you'd achieve is some value for use with ever more complicated spam filters.

I wasn't trying to introduce a reputation system into the algorithm.
I'm not even sure whether reputation or accreditation will prevail when
we get to that at some point in the future.  The questions you raise are
exactly why we don't want to go down that rathole.

If you assume that reputation & accreditation would not prevail the value
of DKIM evaporates almost entirely.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks