Re: Attempted summary (was: Re: [ietf-dkim] DKIM and mailing lists)

2006-01-23 13:36:52
Stephen,

Ok, I see. I can provide my "feature list".  But all I was saying is
that, why should it matter? :-)

DKIM/SSP is an RFC 822 extended EMAIL protocol.  Mailing List or List
Servers and all other mail processors are augmented technology that fit
on top of the 822/821 model

So regardless of a extended mail processor features, its I/O, outer
edge, must be consistent with the expectations of the email system.

So you have:

    AUTHOR/822 ---->  whatever ---->  RECIPIENT/822

"Whatever" could of been a dozen transformations. Who knows!?  But the
governing rule of thumb is that what went in, should be what comes out
and we shoot for 100% maintaining the integrity.

So lets make Whatever a group of items that includes, all the basic
parts, including a List Server as well:

   MUA/MTA --> | MSA --> MFA --> LS --> MTA--> MDA | --> MUA

No matter what features you have, the input must equal the output.
That's the goal in all this.

The MUA/MTA comes with a DKIM/SSP header.  Nothing in the middle should
break it, and its known to do something that could break it, then either
the adjusts itself to DKIM or not.  But to do it correctly, it has to
adjust, especially if something in the middle is changing content.

Do you really want a list of features? <g>

The basic features of a general list server are pretty simple:

- Subscription control
     - open, close, open/confirm

- Submission Control/Options
    - Allow Posting?
    - Allow Any Poster?
    - Moderated?
    - Stripping
         - Attachments
         - HTML

- Expansion/Distribution Options
     - Set Reply-To Field to List Address
     - Keep Original To: Address
     - Auto-Unsubscribe for failed transactions
     - Body Headers/Footers
     - Additional 822 Headers

- Digest
     - Frequency
     - Size

- Request Files
     - Help via EMAIL

- Others options

Pretty basic stuff, and the above is a short list, but I tried to show
some items that might affect DKIM/SSP.